Coaching Requirements plus Req'ts for Managers and Board Members
WHO HAS TO REGISTER, GET SCREENED AND TAKE SAFESPORT TRAINING?
All adult coaches, officials, board members, managers, employees, volunteers, and anyone else who will have regular contact with, or authority over, athletes under the age of 18 are required to register, submit to a background screen & have current SafeSport Training BEFORE any such contact with those athletes. These requirements should be completed in August each season or BEFORE assuming duties.
Coaching & On-Ice Volunteer Requirements Outline for USA Hockey
NOTE: On Ice Volunteers are parents who wish to help on ice during the Beginner/LTS or Initiation/IP Programs. We encourage our On Ice Volunteers at LTS and IP to become full coaches when their child moves to the 6U, 8U and older teams as teams do not need on-ice volunteer help but do need coaches for BOTH practices and games.
All details and links are available at: https://www.usahockey.com/coachingcertification
- Register for a Current USAH ID by visiting https://membership.usahockey.com/ (email this ID to Livingston Blues Registrar - email@example.com so that you can be claimed as a coach for the Livingston Blues, and we can insure that credentials are appropriately reflected). A renewal of this registration is required annually, with registration for the upcoming season typically opening in May. Cost for Coach & On Ice Volunteers is set by USA Hockey every season. Coaches and on ice volunteers MUST register as Coaches. Managers and other off ice volunteers should register as Manager/Volunteer (FREE).
- Complete the required USA Hockey Background Screening https://www.usahockey.com/backgroundscreen (all background screens are run through USA Hockey) & NCSI. Note background screens take 5-7 business days to complete so do this early! Background screen cost is $30 for domestic screenings and is good for two seasons. For international screens (members who have lived outside of the U.S. for six consecutive months in any one country during the past 7 years) the fee in $150. If that country is solely Canada, the fee is $75. Required for all Coaches, On Ice Volunteers, Managers, Locker Room Monitors and Board members.
- Complete the USA Hockey SafeSport Training https://www.usahockey.com/safesporttraining SafeSport training is FREE! Once you have completed the Core SafeSport Course, there will be a Refresher Course available for individuals who have previously completed the core SafeSport course and need to recertify. Required for all Coaches, On Ice Volunteers, Managers, Locker Room Monitors and Board members.
- COACHES: Complete the online age-specific module(s) for the age level of play you are coaching. https://www.usahockey.com/agespecificmodules Cost is $10 per module and only needs to be completed once per age level. Must be completed PRIOR to participating in any team activities and cannot be added to a roster until completed.
- COACHES: Find, register and attend the required certification clinic. (Cost is $50. You can only attend one clinic per season and all coaches start at Level 1. The coaching clinic season for Levels 1-3 officially runs from August 1 to December 31 (occasionally there are early summer classes and in practice most CEP classes are offered from late August to November). To find a virtual clinic and register - https://www.usahockey.com/coachingclinics USA Hockey is beginning to offer some in person CEP classes for those who prefer in person training.
When do I have to do All of these requirements?
Coaches must complete Registration, SafeSport and Screening by their team's 1st practice or they may NOT be on the ice.
In order to be rostered (and be on the bench for games), coaches must complete their age level module and:
- Coaches who are not yet Level 1 certified MUST send the registration for their CEP class to the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coaches who are coaching Learn to Skate, Intermediate or 8U should take Level 1 and can continue to coach with an expired Level 1 until their child moves to 10U.
- Coaches with a CEP that expires by 12/31 of the current year have until 12/31 to complete the next CEP Level class.
- Coaches with an expired CEP must register for their CEP class and send the registration email to the Registrar at email@example.com This includes coaches who have been coaching 8U for multiple years with an expired CEP and are now moving to 10U.