Coaching Requirements Outline for USA Hockey
All details and links are available at: https://www.usahockey.com/coachingcertification
- Register for a 2021-2022 USAH ID by visiting https://membership.usahockey.com/register/age (email this ID to Livingston Blues registrar so that you can be claimed as a coach for the Livingston Blues, and we can insure that credentials are appropriately reflected)
- Complete the required USA Hockey Background Screening https://www.usahockey.com/backgroundscreen (all background screens are run through USA Hockey)
WHO HAS TO GET SCREENED?
All adult coaches, officials, board members, employees, volunteers, and anyone else who will have regular contact with, or authority over, athletes under the age of 18 are required to submit to a background screen before any such contact with those athletes.
WHAT DOES IT COST?
Background screens through NCSI under the national program will cost $30 for all domestic screens. For international screens (members who have lived outside of the U.S. for six consecutive months in any one country during the past 7 years) the fee in $150. If that country is solely Canada, the fee is $75.
- Complete the USA Hockey SafeSport Training https://www.usahockey.com/safesporttraining
As of January 1, 2018, all relevant individuals who need to be SafeSport certified or are seeking recertification will need to complete the new SafeSport training, which features updated content.
Once you have completed the Core SafeSport Course, there will be a Refresher Course available for individuals who have previously completed the core SafeSport course and need to recertify. Users completing the SafeSport refresher course will be certified for an additional season.
- Complete the online age-specific module(s) for the age level of play you are coaching.
https://www.usahockey.com/agespecificmodules (Cost is $10 per module and only needs to be completed once per age level. Must be completed PRIOR to participating in any team activities and cannot be added to a roster until completed)
- Find, register and attend the required certification clinic. (Cost is $50. You can only attend one clinic per season and all coaches start at Level 1. (The coaching clinic season for Levels 1-3 officially runs from September 1 to December 31). To find a virtual clinic and register - https://www.usahockey.com/coachingclinics